I was recently thinking over all the new words and phrases that I have had to learn since moving to eastern Idaho nine years ago. and I was thinking it might be helpfull to someone who is currently learning the lingo if I posted it. so here goes,
Diggin or Muddin: driving around in the dirt or mud in a truck. what I would have called four bying.
snowmachine: fairly self explanatory. althought I would have called it snowmobile.
Outfit: no ladies this is not your carefully chosen shoes and top combo, its what kind of car or truck you are driving. odd I know...
Dressing: this does not mean salad dressing, I was embarrased when my mother-in-law continually asked me to pass the dressing and i kept asking "ranch or blue cheese?" she meant stuffing.
up to, over to: this one is more subtle but still there. instead of saying, "shes from Rexburg." locals say "shes from up to Rexburg." or "shes from over to Rexburg." reguardless of if you are south or north or east or west. it doesnt seem to have anything to do with actual direction.
dang cute: this little ditty I have found myself saying alot. you cant just say something is cute, or beautiful or flattering. it has to be DANG cute. and that pertains to anything from shoes, to hair, to clothing, to houses, to anything.
to town: this one is strange because I have heard it said meaning Rexburg, or Idaho falls, or even downtown Rigby. Locals will say "He went to town." at first I didnt want to look stupid and assume which town. I usually find ways to carefully, while still looking knowledgeable ask more questions to find out which "town" they mean.
Barrow pit: this is a favorite argument between Rich and I. What I would call the ditch, he calls the barrow pit. meaning the area next to the road. he says their is no water in it so it is not a ditch. he claims its called the barrow pit because they "barrow" dirt from it to build the road. I claim when was the last time you heard your mom say, "You could have been dead in a borrow pit for all I know." yeah just doesnt have the same ring.
sluff or ditch: someone might say, "we slufffed school.." we always said skipped. it seemed that only old people, namely our parents said sluff.
I thought I might share these discoveries with you. feel free to share any of your realizations with me. together we can figure out how to look native.
Happy Birthday Brytlee
10 years ago


No comments:
Post a Comment